Welcome to my first blog and recipe! I wanted to choose something that was simple, delicious and visually appealing- so Chocolate Fondant immediately came to my mind. This dish is sometimes called ‘Molten Lava Cake’ or ‘Lava Cake’ – when you first place your spoon into the cake, this wonderful stream of chocolate flows out onto the plate.
Sometimes I feel like re-naming the recipe ‘Tie Me Down’! Since it is so good, I have to plead with my family to ‘tie me down!’ and not let me eat any more. Tips for ensuring a successful chocolate fondant are to cook it long enough so that it does not become too runny and to not add too much flour, or it becomes more like a solid pudding. Enjoy!
Makes 5 servings – cooking time: 13 minutes
- Melted butter for greasing – Cocoa powder for dusting
- 1/2 cup butter (110 grams)
- 200 grams (7 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white sugar (110 grams)
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- Pre-heat oven to 360 °F (180° C). Grease 5 ramekins (pudding molds) with melted butter and dust insides with cocoa powder. Place on baking tray.
- Place a round piece of baking paper in the bottom of each ramekin to ensure the fondant lifts out easily after baking.
- Combine the butter and chocolate together and place over a saucepan of simmering water- stir until melted.
- In a separate bowl, add together 4 eggs and 4 separated egg yolks with the sugar- mix on high speed with an electric mixer until the mixture is thick and foamy (but not stiff).
- Now gradually add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture, folding in small amounts at a time until glossly and smooth.
- Fold in the flour and then pour the mixture into 5 molds- place in fridge for at least 1/2 hour or until ready to serve.
- Bake for 13 minutes – fondants should appear to be cooked on top but do not over-cook.
- Remove from oven and let stand for several minutes – then run a knife gently around the rim of each mold and turn each fondant out onto a serving plate or bowl.
- Sprinkle with white confectioners sugar; add strawberries and thick cream on the side if desired, for extra ‘yumminess.’