Day 4 of my ‘5 Salads in 5 Days’ series
Yes, it’s day 4 and only one more day to go! In case you missed my other 3 salad posts, you can find them here: Warm Goat’s Cheese Salad with Pears and Walnuts, Mediterranean Mixed Bean Salad and Roasted Sweet Potato and Fig Salad with Balsamic Glaze.
What salad do you think I’m going to post tomorrow – it’s a surprise!!
This salad has different tastes and textures: the creamy softness of the salmon mousse, the crispness of the shrimp, the slight tanginess of the avocado and salad greens glazed with the vinaigrette dressing. What are you waiting for – dive in!
- 220 g fresh uncooked salmon pieces
- ½ cup hot chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. gelatine powder
- 3 shallots, chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt/pepper to taste
- ½ cup cream
- For the vinaigrette dressing:
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 9 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Avocados, peeled and sliced thinly
- Mixed lettuce greens to serve 4
- 24 shrimp pieces, tails left on
- salt/pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C. (360 F.)
- Drizzle the salmon pieces with a little lemon, wrap in foil and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the flesh turns light pink. Remove and let cool.
- Dissolve the gelatine powder in the hot chicken stock. Add this mixture to a blender, along with the salmon pieces, shallots, mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt/pepper. Blend for 1 minute, add the cream and blend for another 30 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into 4 lightly- oiled ramekins or small dishes. Place in the fridge until set (1 - 2 hours approximate).
- In the meantime, prepare the vinaigrette dressing: combine the oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard and salt/pepper.
- Peel the avocados and slice into thin pieces. Coat with some of the vinaigrette dressing.
- Toss the remaining dressing into a bowl with the mixed salad greens.
- When ready to serve, place a small amount of the salad greens onto an individual salad plate. Turn out each mousse onto the bed of lettuce. Arrange the avocado slices in a circle pattern on top of the mousse, place several shrimp pieces inside the circle and arrange a few more shrimp around the edge of the plate. Sprinkle the whole salad with a little freshly ground pepper.