I think my dessert might be classed as a ‘cheat’s tiramisu’ because I left out the sponge cake or ladyfingers- but it does have a delicious blend of whipped cream and mascarpone cheese layered with coffee-infused melted chocolate and a splash of Kahlua. Oh yeah, we can forget about those lady fingers this time!
Unfortunately, I’ll have to forget about going on a diet for the time being. I gained 6 pounds on my recent 5-week road trip that took us from Adelaide, South Australia up through the coast of Western Australia to Exmouth (see my post Australian Outback Adventure: from Adelaide to Ningaloo Reef). I find it hard to maintain my weight while travelling, with long hours sitting in a car and eating many meals in restaurants. For dinner, I always ordered just one bowl of soup and then ate a few morsels from Len’s dinner in order to cut back, but the weight still kept piling on. Maybe it was all the lobster and oysters I ate on the trip!
But first I’ll eat this delicious dessert and then go on a diet. Tell me, dear reader, do you tend to gain weight when you travel?
P.S. Would LOVE it if you’d Like my G’day Souffle’ Facebook page!
- 1 cup (250 ml) whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (125 g) mascarpone cheese or ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (40 g) icing (confectioner's) sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 100 g dark chocolate, melted
- 2 tbsps. liquid coffee or espresso, cooled
- 3 tbsp. Kahlua liqueur (or other coffee liqueur)
- Whip the cream with electric beaters until soft peaks form. Fold in the mascarpone cheese and sifted confectioner's sugar, then stir until the mixture is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vanilla extract, liquid coffee and Kahlua (or other coffee liqueur). To serve, spoon 1 tbsp. of the melted chocolate mixture on the bottom of a serving glass, followed by several tbsps. of the cream/mascarpone cheese mixture. Continue alternating layers of the chocolate mixture with the cream mixture, ending with several pieces of chocolate bits on top.
- You can substitute ricotta cheese for the mascarpone cheese, if desired.