Well, we’re in the midst of political primaries in the United States where candidates are hurling slings and arrows at each other. Will it be Bernie, Hillary, or ‘the Donald’ who wins their party’s nomination? Only time will tell- stay glued to your TV set.
But while voters have been ‘stuffing’ their ballot boxes with votes, I have been whipping up my own kind of stuffing recipe: Strawberry and Cointreau Stuffed French Toast. This recipe expands on the usual French toast recipe by adding a stuffing of strawberries and Mascarpone cheese that has been flavored with a splash of Cointreau. Sounds like the perfect dish for a Sunday brunch!
After cooking the French toast on the stovetop, the recipe calls for popping the fry pan into the oven for a few minutes to finish the toast off into a crisp golden brown, This recipe should re-awaken your childhood memories of delicious French toast served on a Sunday morning, this time with an added ‘adult twist’!
- 4 pieces sliced French bread
- 8-10 sliced strawberries
- 2-3 tsps sugar
- 4 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 1 tbsp Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk or half and half
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring
- Orange zest (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 360 F (180 C). Slice the strawberries into thin pieces; sweeten with 2-3 teaspoons sugar to taste.
- Slice the French bread into four pieces about 1 inch thick. Mix the Cointreau into the Mascarpone cheese and then spread the mixture thickly onto one piece of bread. Add some strawberries on top, then close the second piece of bread on top. Repeat with the other two pieces of bread.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla flavoring and orange zest (optional). Soak the two ‘sandwiched’ pieces of bread in the mixture, turning them over so that both sides are fully coated.
- Heat some oil and a little butter in a fry pan over medium heat. Add the French toast and cook about 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for another few minutes until the toast becomes a little crispier. Garnish with strawberries and blueberries and serve with maple syrup.